Haposeowon Confucian School (합호서원)
Introduction Haposeowon is where the tablets of Munseonggong An Hyang, a forerunner of Sung Confucianism from the late Goryeo era, are enshrined. It was first built in 1716 as Anjabyeolmyo Shrine by An Gyeong-sin, An Gyeong-in, An Gyeong-jeong, and An Gyeong-sang, who are the 15th descendants of An Hyang, and memorial services have been held there every year on March 3rd and September 9th on lunar calendar. In 1843, the shrine was renamed Haposeowon. The shrine was demolished upon the order of regent Daewongun during the reign of King Gojong.
Later, An’s descendants rebuilt the shrine in Haposa Temple to perform memorial services for An Hyang. In 1931, additional buildings were constructed while descendant An Bae-ho held discussions with Confucian scholars about rebuilding the shrine. In 1949, the Confucian school was rebuilt with the consent of 218 Confucian schools nationwide.
Today, the Yeongi Confucian Scholars Association organizes memorial services for An Hyang on September 12 on lunar calendar.
262-6, Wonhapgang 1-gil, Yeondong-myeon, Sejong 세종특별자치시 연동면 원합강1길 262-6 (합강리)
Monuments/ Historical Sites
• 1330 Travel Hotline: +82-2-1330 (Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese) • For more info: Sejong City Culture & Tourism +82-44-211-4022~3 (Korean)